Sunday, August 8, 2010

Crit of the Critic

Here is Candy Depew's response to Christine's review of her show.

cee cee said...

Hello there!

Just read this and thank you for your "review" of my work! Feel free to check out my past 10 years of exhibitions to notice my enduring themes of the skull, diamonds, leaves and sparkles; in particular the exhibition at the Physick House, "between worlds....". I am positive all will help you in your appreciation of my installation work and your writing.

thank you for reading and I look forward to meeting you in person in the future!

You will note, especially if delving a tiny bit deeper into the exhibitoin beyond surface layers that you write of, that motifs are recurring and have become a language far earlier than the recent ed hardy trend of the last 2 or so years.

Most of the ceramic work was made in the land of the dutch still life at the European Ceramic Work Center, from special materials only available there and are highly specialized. If interested in ceramics at all, one would be able easily to appreciate the skill necessary to create such pieces as those arranged so carefully for presentation at the Art Alliance.

I look forward to your art viewing/reviewing skills growing and developing greatly and any further analysis of my work. Feel free to share it with me directly. Hopefully it will be astute and on point and can be something that can be shared with my every growing network.


5 comments:

  1. errr...thanks, Andy. I think? I'm not sure what to do with her response. I am actually a big fan of her work. What did you think, Andy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted this so the rest of the class could feel for you. I don't think I'd worry too much. One thing you could do is write back with a response. Can't hurt to explain your feelings about the show. Otherwise let it drop and don't worry about it. Gerard mentioned how he had gotten comments back from crits he had written. He might have advice for you about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't get to the part where we talked about how being a critic isn't fun, did we?

    Want my advice? I would resist the urge to write back and explain yourself. They put up the show, you write about the show, that's supposed to be the end of the matter. Unless the comment includes errors of fact, I wouldn't telescope it into infinity.

    I have gotten a lot of negative feedback from reviews I've written...even ones I thought were positive and enthusiastic. What I learned is (not matter how much they may say otherwise) that it's often hard for artists to give someone else's interpretations a fair shake. They have lived too long and too close to their work; everything someone else says about it risks sounding superficial.

    I eventually made peace with this problem by taking a long turn sitting in the duck tank at a Vox Populi fundraiser party. Every artist, dealer, curator, whatever who felt wronged by me could pay for their chance to soak me. I got plenty wet, but it was for a good cause. Oh yeah, and there was a plexiglas screen between my face and the ball that was getting thrown at the booth...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Gerard. Good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm just glad I didn't ask her to be on my thesis committee yet! That would have been awkward.

    ReplyDelete