Thursday, August 5, 2010

Final class meeting

Tomorrow we'll hear your final presentations. We've been given room 833 in Terra for class, so let's meet there (although I strongly discourage you from using the Internet to make your presentation; it's not always accessible in conferences).

I would like to cluster presentations on Craft at the beginning of class. Jessica Cohen, Andy Heisey, Sean Mattio. Next we'll move on to papers that move around issue of history and memory, and hear from Christine Colby and Renee Cortese. After that the program can open up as I think there are no more overlaps.

I will be very firm about the 10-minute time limit. You need practice being well-rehearsed and I need practice (for a panel I am chairing this fall) moving the program along. I will have a timer. I will give a signal at 9 minutes. I will ask you to finish your sentence and sit down at 10 minutes. Questions will be addressed between presentations as the next presenter sets up.

If you're going to use your laptop do not expect there to be any adapters for the VGA cable in the room. Bring your own adapters. Because this is a 'smart' classroom, I assume you can move your presentation from your computer to the room's computer, but compatibility may be an issue. You may need a flash drive to do so (I will collect your scripts or digital copies of your presentations to review for comment).

Finally, I will be taking notes throughout the presentations so I can send letters to each of you with comments. I have been less than emphatic about grades because what really matters is the experience you have in the class and how it mirrors what you can expect in academic and professional life. 

Looking forward to hearing about your research, and hopefully to making some meaningful progress toward the completion of your written thesis through this endeavor. See you in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment