Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Food heckler--wait, I mean reviewer--leaves the Philadelphia Weekly

This semester I have been following the food reviewer Adam Erace, mainly his column in the Weekly, but also I have perused his blog.  After reading the article on heckling, it made me think of Erace's work, his writing style, and the reactions from readers.  Erace has a very unique way of putting together adjectives and descriptive phrases that make me want to visit the restaurant (even if it is Bobby Flay, whom I can't stand).  However, it is usually the negatively connotations that catch my attention.  I'm drawn to the cut-downs; I wouldn't read his column if he just gave thumbs-down.  But when he describes a food establishment, and uses phrases like this:



Loose, lumpy and tobacco-brown, [the jägerschnitzel] tasted burned and looked better suited to a restaurant called Brauhaus Shits. (Brauhaus Schmitz, Oct. 6, 2009)
I feel bad for the place, but . . . I'll admit, I will want to read more.  However, it makes me wonder, should our right of freedom of speech allow us to humiliate others?  The Alicia Estrada scenario in the article and the experiences of Kathy Sierra are drastically different.  Where, or how do we cross the line?  
Check out the article on Adam Erace leaving PW; there's an example of the heckler getting heckled:

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, this will make Friday morning interesting...thanks for posting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please read his review of Greenhouse Cafe at Terrain...it's side-splitting.

    http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/food/reviews/Greenhouse-Cafe-at-Terrain.html

    ReplyDelete