Thursday, July 1, 2010

For Friday, July 2

Tomorrow in class we will:
  • Do our first Criticism Round up. You should be a piece of art-related journalism for discussion. The idea here is to get a sense of what outlets cover what ideas and who the major voices in these outlets are. I expect this to take about 40 minutes.
  • We'll decide who's summarizing what publication for class next Wednesday, July 7. Please be sure you've read the assignment so I can clear up any questions. 
  • We'll also divide up the James Elkins book for discussion on Friday, July 9 in class. 
  • We'll discuss the two remaining major writing projects for this class: the newsletter and the critical analysis. Again, I intend these to be a useful, practical exercises that reflects what you said you wanted to get out of the seminar. So if you have concerns, plan to address them.
  • We'll begin our research in the library for your presentations.
If you've decided that you'd prefer to go to Tom's section, tomorrow is the last day such a switch will be possible. Tom asked me to tell anyone who wanted to make a switch:

we will assemble at 9:30 on Friday at the Pine St entrance of the Hamilton building in order to take the van to the PMA
I am planning that the week after we next, we'll focus our attention on something that came up in yesterday's class: the construction of authority in criticism. I will assign some readings form the CD I gave out yesterday. If you're having trouble with it, let me know tomorrow when i see you and I'll go over how to navigate it (otherwise, I assume you know how to do it and will get grumpy and short-tempered if asked again...)

No comments:

Post a Comment