Monday, July 26, 2010

Maxine Manges says: "You musn't shit on your own doorstep."

Ok, tentative connection with that quote, but I just really liked when she said that.

http://theartblog.org/2010/07/book-reviews-‘vox-populi-we’re-working-on-it’-and-‘communities-of-sense-rethinking-aesthetics-and-politics’/

So I read this because I'm interested in how a thriving art collective in Philadelphia sees itself in the greater world of art collectives/art/Philadelphia/life. Seems relevant especially to conversations we've had in Professional Practices this summer.
I also read the second thing about aesthetics and politics. I felt pretty great about the last paragraph because it made me feel better about having to fight off glazed-over-eyes-time when even reading a summary of the volume. I appreciated her acknowledgement of the contradictory nature of the authors' point of view and use of language.

No comments:

Post a Comment